Friday, August 04, 2006

Finnish is hard

So I missed the first 2 days of the language course because of my late arrival, and it seems like it's going to take a while to catch up. I missed all the important things like greetings, numbers, verb endings etc. I'll have to study but I don't know when I will have time.

Finnish is completely different from English and is not related to any of the Germanic languages. It has no article (e.g. 'the' and 'on') and the word endings change depending on the meaning, even names. For example to say 'I live in Helsinki', the word ending changes - Mina asun Helsingissa. I think that once I learn the rules it will be quite a fun language to try and speak. The words are a lot longer and quite confusing for an English speaker to read but I'm already catching on.

The people on the course are great - we're all European students on the Erasmus exchange programme. They're all very friendly, I've already met people from Greece, Germany, France, Ireland, Belgium, The Netherlands, Italy and a lot more countries I've probably forgotten. No other English students yet but apparently there are some in the other class. We're going to a bar tonight so I'll meet more people there. I've heard it's karaoke night - what could go wrong?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home