Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Last Weekend in Helsinki

My last weekend in Finland really crept up on me. In fact I didn't realise it was my last weekend there until after it had passed!

The Cathedral with newly-added Christmas tree

I had managed to get on a rare tour of the Presidential Palace on Saturday, with some fellow students. It had originally meant to be earlier in the week, but it was postponed until the weekend so we didn't get to see the palace on a working day. Still, it was very interesting and I learnt a lot about this mysterious building where the President works.

Inside the State Room

Inside it was quite grand, we even had to wear plastic covers on our shoes to keep the floors clean. It was nice to see the State Room, which I had previously seen in the newspapers as the place where the independence day ball was held. We also saw the President's study, where, our guide informed us, is where she met Conan O Brien!

Ice skating in railway square

After the tour I headed back along Esplanade, through the Christmas market selling all kinds of hand-made crafts. I then met up with my friend next to the railway station and we went ice skating on the outdoor rink.

All aboard the exchange-student-train!

I haven't been skating in many years so it was quite a harrowing experience at first but I warmed to it and by the end was busy racing with friends and playing steal-the-hat which was a lot of fun. I didn't even fall over once! That night we went to Myyrmaki (the location of my university's other campus) for a final student flat party there and I spent Sunday evening with a friend who was leaving the next day. It was already time to start saying goodbye to people and the air of finality began to set in. Still, there was more partying to do before the end!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home