Thursday, July 26, 2007

Croatia - Zagreb

The journey through the mountains into Croatia was one of the most dramatic so far. This is why I'm refusing to use planes anywhere on this trip (except the end, of course). You get to see so much more and get a real sense of distance.

The sign says don't lean out the window but it's just so nice!

After arriving in Zagreb, the capital of Croatia, I waited absolutely ages for a tram, then 3 came at once. Typical. The right stop for my hostel was also hard to find, being in the outskirts with no real variation in the landscape of dull, grey apartment blocks.

Creepy!

To be honest I really was not very much impressed with Zagreb. With the exception of one short but very lively street full of a great variety of bars, there wasn't too much that caught my attention.

The city at dusk

There's a funicular railway up to another section of the town, although it's the shortest I've ever seen and walking up the adjoining steps is cheaper and probably quicker too. The rather grey weather did nothing to improve my view of the city.

In the old town

I think to really appreciate Croatia, one must visit the coast, of which I've heard many great things. Later I will do just that, heading to Dubrovnik, and hope it's somewhat more enthralling!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home