Friday, July 06, 2007

Lithuania - Vilnius

I arrived in Lithuania's capital, Vilnius, tired and exhausted after such a long journey. Upon getting off the bus I noticed somebody blocking my way.

Bell tower in the main square

I looked up and had to blink a few times - a familiar face was staring back at me and smiling. It was Margarita from the summer cottage last October in Finland! What an amazing coincidence to bump into her - we had been on the same bus.

The old town from the castle tower

Luckily, she was a local of Vilnius and offered to show me around. We went to the churches and monasteries, climbed the castle tower and walked around all the major sites, including the breakaway self-declared 'free republic' of artists and nonconformists with its comical constitution prominently displayed.

Entering the 'Free Republic'

The city is very nice, definitely my favourite so far on this trip. The old town is much larger and more impressive than the one in Riga. There's a lot to see but in the one day I had I think I saw enough to get a feel for the place.

The Russian church at sunset

It was great to have a local guide, Margarita even took me to Vilnius University to have a look around which is something most tourists don't get to do. Despite having such a great time, I knew I had to leave. Next stop, Poland!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home