Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Leaving Finland

After a week of partying and saying our goodbyes, it was time to leave Finland. But things were not over...yet. By chance, about 10 of us had flights leaving at almost the same time, between 5-6pm on Saturday 23rd. So this meant one thing...airport party! As usual I had left everything important until the last minute and was frantically trying to sort out my things, pack my bags and clean the flat, before running to the station with all my bags to catch the train that the others were on. There was no time for a fond farewell to Leppavaara but maybe that was for the best.

Gunther uses his travel card for the first time

On the train I met with Gunther, Steffen and Linda as we headed toward Helsinki to meet the others. We decided to pay for our last train journey - most of the erasmus students always tried to avoid paying - and above you can see Gunther ironically using this 'travelcard' thing he had got but never used. We thanked the rather bemused conductor for 5 months of free travel as he passed by.

Me with my bags, travelling to Helsinki from Leppavaara for what must have been the hundredth, but final, time

We met with the others in Helsinki central station, and with time to be spare we enjoyed a coffee before getting the bus to the airport. Amazingly, considering it was almost Christmas, the huge airport was almost empty and I was first in line for my check-in. We wandered through security without even having to wait, which has never happened to me before. With a few hours still to spare I spent the last of my euros on presents for my family in the shops and then we enjoyed a final beer in the airport bar.

Waiting for the bus to the airport

We were having fun together, joking and chatting right up until the last minute. I normally hate airports but it was great fun. Finally, it came time for me to leave for my plane. I said a fond goodbye to everyone and walked alone to my gate. The flight home gave me time to reflect on my experience in Finland, but it wasn't until I got back home that I realised that the best time of my life was finally over. It was not a good moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home