Friday, September 22, 2006

Porvoo

Last Sunday I was at a loose end with little to do and in order to stop myself from resorting to studying, I decided to go somewhere. So I went to Porvoo by bus from Helsinki, which takes about an hour.

One of the many historic streets

The city of Porvoo is the second oldest in Finland, after Turku. It is a popular tourist destination for Finns, with a charming old town composed entirely of wooden buildings dating back centuries. Despite the label of 'city', it is very small and can easily be explored in an afternoon.

The old town, seen from the bridge

To be honest I was a bit dissappointed with Porvoo. While it has a very charming atmosphere, there is little to do except walk around and look at the buildings. One of the biggest attractions in the city is the cathedral, which was unfortunately heavily damaged by fire this year and is thus closed to visitors and completely covered up.

The town hall

I had a look around the old and new town, walked along the river toward the sea and also had a look at the historic railway yard where they keep the steam engines used in the summer for tourists.

There haven't been enough pictures of me on my own blog recently!

And that's my trip to Porvoo. Sorry if it was a bit less interesting than other places I've been, but that's how it was! I may return in the winter with some friends to see the Christmas market, which is apparently worth visiting and I reckon the town would look great in the snow.

As for now, I've got to pack because I'm going camping tommorow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home